This is a news release I was honored to issue Sept. 12 on behalf of Speedway Fire-Rescue regarding two members of the service, Scott and Karry Bohannan, who lost everything in a house fire. (The photo is of Scott and Karry) Thanks to Karri Coyne and her helpers for organizing some fundraisers for the Bohannans and for supplying me with all of the information ~ Phil
Davenport, Iowa (Sept. 12, 2015) — Two longtime Speedway Fire-Rescue (SFR) volunteer firefighters, a husband and wife who have protected and aided hundreds of area racing competitors and Quad City Air Show participants over the years, now need some help themselves.
Scott Bohannan, SFR’s president, and his wife Karry, SFR’s treasurer, were hospitalized with smoke inhalation and suffered a huge loss when their portion of a duplex they lived in with their son Brent at 3rd and Oak in Davenport burned Sunday night, Sept. 6. The Bohannans, who have now been released from the hospital, were able to get out of the house with just the clothes on their backs.
Now their fellow SFR members and others are organizing some benefits for the Bohannans:
1) SFR members will sell 50-50 tickets and/or accept cash donations to benefit the couple at upcoming stock car races they cover.
2) SFR and the Lil’ Racer Car Club Inc. are jointly holding a benefit from 2-7 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 17, at Checkers Bar and Grill, 3120 6th St. S.W., Cedar Rapids, Iowa. There will be a live auction, silent auction, raffles, 50/50 drawings, a dunk tank and more. A live deejay, Tony Ginther’s Code 3 Productions, will provide music. SFR is asking for donations of any kind, whether they be for the Bohannans personally or to be raffled or auctioned off at the benefit. Items could include autographed race car door skins, T-shirts, hats and koozies. You may contact the following individuals to donate:
Karri Coyne — Davenport area (563) 370-6446
Sarah Slade — Iowa City area (319) 331-5065
Jessica Jungling/Eric Jungling — Cedar Rapids area (319) 210-3422/(319) 560-1156
Molly Ginther — Dubuque area (563) 580-5790
3) SFR and Mitch Swinton, with Lil’ Racer Car Club, are making Yankee Dirt Track Classic hats to sell for $15 each at Farley Speedway during their 38th annual Yankee Dirt Track Classic. All of the proceeds from the hat sales will go to Scott and Karry Bohannan and their family. Hats will be available throughout the Yankee Dirt Track Classic. There are several different styles: farmer style with four panel vents and a plastic adjustable strap, all in navy blue; and baseball style with a cloth adjustable back, in black and red; and the fitted style S/M and L/XL, in black.
4) SFR has arranged for The Family Credit Union to accept monetary donations for the Bohannans by mail at any of the following locations:
1530 W. 53rd St., Davenport, Iowa 52806
1400 Rockingham Road, Davenport, Iowa 52802
2238 Jersey Ridge Road, Davenport, Iowa 52807
Please make all checks payable to the Bohannan Family Benefit or the Bohannan Family.
5) SFR is collecting clothing for the Bohannans and their son Brent. Sizes for Scott: men’s XL or XXL shirts, 38×34 jeans and 2XL jogging pants; For Karry: women’s medium or large shirts and size 7 pants; For Brent: men’s large shirts and 32 pants (longs). Call Karri Coyne for more information: (563) 370-6446.
SFR is a non-profit 501C3 organization based in Davenport. Roughly 50 volunteers, who are trained in firefighting, vehicle extrication and emergency medical service, serve at a drag strip and more than half a dozen auto race tracks in eastern Iowa and western Illinois each year from April through October. They also work at the annual Quad City Air Show each year in Davenport.
For more information, contact: SFR Capt. Karri Coyne, at (563) 370-6446, or at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.